Key features of the curriculum
A specially designed curriculum will ensure development of the core competencies in every HHMI scholar:
Scholars will experience an immersion in clinical medicine and clinically relevant collaborative research through multiple experiences, including:
- Clinical medicine-basic science learning groups (research mentoring teams)
- Intensive five-week summer institute (condensed medical school environment)
- "Doctoring" course (with medical students)
- Hospital and clinic rotations with medical students and residents (including ER and cardiac ICU experience)
- Clinical clerkships (shadowing 3rd-year medical students during rounds)
- Patient management conferences (case-based learning on practical issues in patient care)
- Involvement in an NIH Clinical and Translational Science Center clinical study
These clinical experiences will be combined with directed readings in clinical and translational research, a core course in Molecular Mechanisms of Disease, and clinical seminars and workshops on leadership/management skills, career development, academic-industry partnerships and ethics/RCR.
Social and teambuilding events will include quarterly breakfasts with UC Davis deans, field trips to industry and other groups, and ongoing mentor and peer interactions.
- Eventual Ph.D. degree will include a Designated Emphasis in Clinical Translational Research
- Optional Masters of Advanced Studies (M.A.S.) degree in Clinical Research